• 2011_header_7

Courses

Year 7

In Year 7 the students’ initial programme of learning covers the period 1066-1485 and the two main enquiry questions focus on how everyday life changed for people in this period and how ‘power’ changed in the same period. The final investigation examines the origins and significance of the British Empire including an investigation on the ‘story’ of ‘movement of people’s’ into the British Isles.

Year 8

In Year 8 the students’ initial programme of learning covers the period 1485-1665 and the two main enquiry questions focus on the religious changes in England and the causes of the English Civil War. The next investigation focuses on development and change in either science and medicine or politics.

Year 9

In Year 9 the students’ programme of learning focuses on world events in the Twentieth Century. The students examine the origins, as well as the ‘Home Front’, of both the First and Second World Wars. The students will also investigate the causes and significance of the Holocaust as well as studying the origins and course of the Cold War.

Year 10 and 11 (GCSE)

- The students follow the OCR examination board‘s ‘Modern World History’ syllabus. The students investigate themes in the modern world such as the collapse of Communism in Europe, global terrorism and the Iraq War. The students also complete a depth investigation on Germany in the period 1918-45. The final examination unit is a source investigation focussing on Britain in the years 1890-1918 including the impact of the First World War on Britain and the development of ‘votes for women’. These components are examined at the end of Year 11 in two separate examination papers totalling 75% of the final grade. Finally, the students complete a controlled assessment task on Russia 1894-1941 which accounts for the remaining 25% of the marks.

Year 12 and 13 (A-Level)

- From September 2015 the students will be studying towards the new two year A-Level. In Year 12 the students will study Germany in the years 1918-1989 examining the period in breadth and Italy in the years 1911-1945 where the focus will be on in-depth analysis. In Year 13 the students complete a piece of individual coursework on a topic of their choice and complete a broad synoptic unit on Britain from the late eighteenth century until the early twentieth. To achieve the full A-Level qualification the students will sit three examinations at the end of the two year programme of study.